2022 Smart Energy Home of the Future
First Electric Cooperative and the Electric Cooperatives of Arkansas partnered with a local builder, Fiser Development, LLC., to customize a newly built, all-electric home using smart home automation products. These products offer awareness, energy-efficiency, security, convenience and control – any place and any time. Though this home is new construction, these products can all be integrated easily into an existing home as well.
This modern home was constructed using insulated doors and windows, foam insulation, LED lighting and a 16 SEER heat pump to maximize energy-efficiency. Then, a full list of smart products were implemented so that the homeowner could take full advantage of the energy-savings potential. Below is a list of home automation products that were used:
- Nest Learning Thermostat – learns what temperature you like and builds a schedule around you.
- Nest Protect smart smoke and carbon monoxide detector – Split-Spectrum Sensor, tests itself automatically, lasts up to 10 years and is controllable by your phone.
- Nest doorbell – check in and answer from anywhere when you receive alerts.
- Nest Cam – 24/7 live view and three hours of free video history and customizable alerts.
- Nest x Yale smart door lock – tamper-proof, key-free deadbolt connected to your Nest app, so it allows you to lock and unlock your door from anywhere.
- Kasa smart Wi-Fi light switch with dimmer – monitor your lights, set schedules or turn electronics off and on from anywhere, anytime.
- ChargePoint Home Flex electric vehicle charger – level 2, 240-volt charges any EV up to 9 times faster then a normal wall outlet and has an app that allows you to set your own charging schedules.
- Rheem ProTerra hybrid electric water heater – energy-efficient, leak detection system and able to connect to your mobile device.
- Flo by Moen smart home water monitoring and leak detection system – monitors and detects leaks as small as a drop per minute and other issues, and offers an app that allows you to monitor water usage, pressure and temperature.
- LiftMaster smart garage door opener – control your garage door from anywhere using your smartphone, and enable secure in-garage delivery for Amazon Prime packages.
In the videos below, marketing representative Ashley Copple shows some of the cool features each product has to offer.
UPDATE: Smart Energy Home of the Future continues to save member a yearly average of 35 percent on energy
First Electric Cooperative upgraded an existing house with home automation technology to create a Smart Energy Home of the Future to educate members about energy savings. Since October 2019, Tori Smith of Jacksonville saved a yearly average of 35 percent or $611.60 on her electric bill after her 1,670 square foot home in the Base Meadows neighborhood received the Smart Energy Home of the Future Makeover.
According to the Environmental Protection Agency, interest in connected or smart home automation technology is trending upward among consumers and manufacturers are responding with a growing list of smart products, including programmable thermostats, LED light bulbs, power strips, water heaters, solar panels and more.
“Our goal is to show our members how home automation technology can make a significant difference with energy savings,” said Tonya Sexton, vice president of Marketing and Development. “In the 1950s, First Electric educated our members on the benefits of using electric appliances. This is the modern-day version of that where we will use this Smart Energy Home of the Future to educate members on how home automation technology can help to lower their electric bill."
Smith's home built in 2006, was identified among several homes that could be good candidates for energy efficiency improvements and home automation integration. Current efficiency, technology and solar viability were considered and based upon the results — Smith’s home was chosen as the Smart Energy Home of the Future.
Home automation technologies used in the upgrade include:
- 3.5k Solar Array donated by Today’s Power, Inc., a wholly-owned subsidiary of Arkansas Electric Cooperatives, Inc.
- Rheem Performance Platinum 50 gal. hybrid high-efficiency smart tank water heater
- Google Nest, smart programmable thermostat
- Google Smart Light LED kit
- Smart LED bulbs
- Google Home Hub and Google Home mini smart speakers
- Google Nest Yale door lock
- Ring video doorbell
“I have been able to save more money and use that extra money to put back into my home,” Smith said. “I love the convenience the upgrades have provided. My favorite is the automated technology like the Nest thermostat and Google Home. The overall savings make me and my bank account very happy.”
Solar panels helped Smith to save energy usage on her electric bill. "I tell family and friends to look into solar panels due to the huge energy and financial savings," she said.
Smith uses the First Electric mobile app to manage her account from anywhere. She said it’s all about convenience and loves seeing low bills every month.
"I have really enjoyed this experience and the benefits of the smart energy upgrades," Smith said.
For more information on how to turn your home into a Smart Energy Home of the Future, contact us at 800-489-7405.
Integrated Smart Technology
Heat Pump Water Heater
Smart Energy Home of the Future