An outage preparedness kit will help you and your family cope during an outage. It should be stored in a designated place, so it is easy to find should the need arise. Items suggested for the kit include:
- Canned or packaged foods, powdered milk, beverages, dry cereal, canned tuna fish, peanut butter, crackers, etc. At least a three-day non-perishable food supply per person is recommended.
- Water. One gallon per person per day is suggested for drinking purposes.
- First aid kit
- Water purification tablets. They may be purchased at a pharmacy.
- Bleach without lemon or other additives
- Extra prescription medicine and/or medical supplies
- Candles, matches and lantern
- Fire extinguisher
- Battery-operated radio
- Flashlights and extra batteries
- Can opener
- Disposable plates and eating utensils
- Emergency cooking facilities
- Baby food, diapers and formula
- Portable cooler
- Extra blankets or sleeping bags