Plan for a Safe and Festive Fourth
Posted on June 23rd, 2020
First Electric’s offices will be closed Friday, July 3, in observance of Independence Day. Outages may be reported by calling 888-827-3322 or by using our mobile app.
Normally the Fourth of July involves big get-togethers and boisterous gatherings. However, this year has been anything but normal due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
We’re celebrating everything from graduations to birthdays differently in these times of social distancing. And it’s possible that we’re having to rethink our usual Independence Day parties and plans.
Many of us will be observing our nation’s birthday — as well as spending our summers — close to home.
First Electric wants to make sure our members focus on safety in addition to fun.
Nothing says “Fourth of July” like a spectacular fireworks display! Some big fireworks events around the state are still happening as scheduled.
If you want to put on your own show at home, first check local laws. Only use fireworks where and when allowed. (In Arkansas, fireworks may be sold and used from June 20 through July 10 and Dec. 10 through Jan. 5, but they cannot be used everywhere.)
Please heed these guidelines from the American Red Cross:
- Always follow the instructions on fireworks’ packaging, and never give fireworks to small children.
- Keep a supply of water close by as a precaution.
- Make sure to wear protective eyewear when lighting fireworks.
- Light only one firework at a time, and never attempt to relight a “dud.”
- Store fireworks in a cool, dry place away from children and pets.
- Never throw or point fireworks toward people, animals, vehicles, structures or flammable materials.
When it comes to cookouts, make sure your feasts also come with a side helping of safety. The American Red Cross offers these tips:
- Keep children and pets away from the grill.
- Wash your hands before preparing food.
- Don’t leave food out in the hot sun. Keep perishable foods in a cooler with plenty of ice or freezer gel packs.
- Always supervise a grill when in use. Don’t add charcoal starter fluid when coals have already been ignited. Use long-handled tools especially made for grilling.
- Never grill indoors. Keep the grill out in the open, away from the house, the deck, tree branches or anything that could catch fire.
- Make sure everyone, including pets, stays away from the grill.
However you’ll be celebrating this year, First Electric wishes you a safe and festive Fourth of July!