Reduce energy use with free, low-cost tips
Posted on June 3rd, 2019
- Keep thermostat set at 78 degrees or higher during the cooling season and use ceiling fans while home to make temperatures feel four or more degrees cooler.
- Keep the outdoor heating and cooling unit clean and free of debris.
- Air dry dishes instead of using the heated dry cycle.
- Change the HVAC filter regularly. You can order filters online and have them shipped to your door. Details are at www.firstelectric.coop/filter-change-program.
- Caulk and weather-strip around doors and windows.
- Install a low-flow shower head.
- Set the water heater temperature to 120 degrees.
- Place LEDs in frequently used fixtures.
- Clean the lint filter in the dryer after each use.