First Electric members can pay for their electric service in advance using Prepaid, the cooperative’s new payment option. Enrolling in Prepaid is free, and rates for usage are the same as postpaid residential accounts.
Who qualifies for Prepaid?
Most residential accounts* are able to enroll in Prepaid.
What are the benefits of enrolling?
- More payment flexibility – pay in advance how much and how often as is convenient.
- No due dates.
- No shut-off notices.
- No penalties for paying late.
- No fees for reconnecting service.
- No security deposits.**
Security deposits on existing accounts are refunded and credited to your account. This credit is used to pay for any usage up to the current date.
Any remaining credit can be left on the account and used for future power purchases or refunded to you upon request.
What if I owe money?
Any remaining balance due on your account can be set up in a Prepaid arrangement. The balance is paid using 50 percent of future payments to your account. This means half of all payments go to pay your arrangement, and the other half go toward your Prepaid credit for future power purchases.
After your arrangement is paid back in full, 100 percent of all payments go toward your future power purchase.
How much do I need to get started?
- Existing members – A $20 credit balance is required to start Prepaid. In addition, if you make a Prepaid arrangement then you need to pay at least $40 because half of the payment goes toward your Prepaid arrangement amount.
- New members – A $20 credit balance is required to start Prepaid. This is in addition to the standard $10 membership fee and $25 service activation fee.
What if my service is disconnected?
Accounts that are disconnected for non-payment still are eligible to enroll in Prepaid and are not charged the reconnect fee. Deposits are refunded and credited to your account. The remaining credit is used for future purchase of power, or any remaining balance due can be set up on a Prepaid arrangement. However, a $20 credit still is required to start Prepaid.
How do I keep track of my credit?
Credits are adjusted through a daily billing. The billing rates and fees are the same as postpaid residential accounts.
First Electric keeps track for you with notifications by e-mail, text or phone call when your balance falls below $15.
If your account no longer has a credit balance, your service is disconnected until you make a payment.
How do I make payments?
- Use a PaySite kiosk. Click here for locations.
- Use E-Bill, First Electric's online bill payment system.
- Call First Electric at 800-489-7405.
- Visit a First Electric office. Click here for locations.
If using the above methods, payments prior to midnight normally are credited to your account within 30 minutes. Extenuating circumstances may delay reconnection on payments made after 5 p.m.
Payments are accepted through the mail or by using a third-party payment site. However, these payments may take several days to be received and posted to your account.
How do I sign up?
- Visit a First Electric office in Jacksonville, Benton, Heber Springs, Perryville or Stuttgart.
- Call 800-489-7405.
- Complete the form below to receive more information.
Who can I call for help?
Call 800-489-7405 during regular business hours to speak with a First Electric member service representative.
*Net metering accounts or 320 amp services are not eligible for Prepaid.
**Security deposits related to meter tampering still will apply to Prepaid accounts.
Interested in learning more? Please complete the request form below.